This page highlights a number of applications you might use in your day to day use of Foresight Linux. Each title links to a page that provides details on how to use each application, or click on the applications home page link in the overview paragraph to learn more about each application.
Banshee, http://www.banshee-project.org, is a music manager for GNOME written in Mono. Banshee organizes all of your music on your computer as well as your digital audio player. Banshee supports ripping music from CDs, burning music to disc, listening to internet radio, Podcast support, and digital audio player support, including transcoding. To learn more about using Banshee, click here.
Brasero, http://perso.orange.fr/bonfire/ , is an application to burn discs for GNOME. Burn music discs, backup data to DVD or CD, burn an ISO image, or make an exact copy of a disc. Brasero is located in the "Applications" then "Sound and Video" menu. To learn more about using Brasero, click here.
Beagle, http://beagle-project.org/Main_Page , is a tool to help search your computer for your content, including music, photos, documents, applications, notes, instant messenging conversations, web history and more. The Beagle daemon is installed by default on Foresight Linux. To learn more about Beagle, click here.
Epiphany, http://www.gnome.org/projects/epiphany/ , is the default web browser for GNOME and Foresight Linux. Powered by the Gecko engine, developed by the Mozilla Foundation, Epiphany features smart bookmarks, customizable interface, and extensions and plugins. To learn more about Epiphany, click here.
Mozilla Firefox is also packaged in the default Foresight Linux install for users who prefer Firefox.
Evolution, http://www.gnome.org/projects/evolution/, is an integrated email client, calendar, and addressbook for the GNOME Desktop. Evolution supports email via POP and IMAP. To learn more about Evolution, click here.
F-Spot, http://www.f-spot.org, helps manage your photos, including sharing, touch-up, finding and organizing your images. F-Spot supports the ability to tag your photos making it easy to find and organize them, share them with popular photo sharing websites, including Picasa, Flickr, Gallery and more, and basic editing including sharpening your photos or rotating their size. To learn more about using F-Spot, click here.
Glipper, http://glipper.sourceforge.net/, is a clipboard manager for GNOME, to assist in copying and pasting text between applications. Glipper keeps a copy of the last twenty pieces of text copied to the clipboard making it easy to paste. To learn more about using Glipper, click here.
OpenOffice.org is an full featured office suite, compatible with other office suites on the market. OpenOffice.org features the following applications as part of it's suite:
- Base: Base is a tool to manage databases, including creating and editing tables, viewing tables including adding, editing and deleting records, and a Report Wizard to create impressive reports from your data. Base includes a a full version of the HSQL database engine, and also supports other popular databases such as MySQL, Access and others through industry standard ODBC and JDBC drivers. Learn more about Base at the OpenOffice.org website.
- Calc: Calc is an advanced spreadsheet application with features for everyone from beginners to advanced users. Use Calc to compute and perform complex calculations and formulas, create charts and graphs from data, and many more advanced spreadsheet features. Learn more about Calc at the OpenOffice.org website.
- Draw: Draw is a tool to create graphics from diagrams to process flows to org charts. Draw features the ability to manipulate objects in 2D or 3D, easily group and ungroup objects, and smart connectors to connect diagrams. To see a ful list of features, click here.
- Impress: Create multimedia presentations using Impress. Add 2D and 3D clip art, special effects, and animations to capture your audience's attention. To learn more about Impress and to see a demonstration, click here.
- Math: Math is a component within OpenOffice.org for computing scientific calculations. Learn more about Math here.
- Writer: Writer is a full featured word processor that makes it easy to write everything from a brief memo to a full novel. Save your files in OpenDocument format, or export to PDF, HTML or Microsoft Word documents as well.
Totem, http://www.gnome.org/projects/totem/, is the official movie player of the GNOME desktop. Totem supports DVD playback, AVI, Ogg Theora and more codecs. To learn more about using Totem, click here.
Pidgin Instant Messenger (formerly Gaim)
Gaim, http://www.pidgin.im/, is an instant messenger client that supports many popular services, including Jabber, Gtalk, MSN, Yahoo! Instant Messenger, AIM, ICQ and Novell Groupwise Messenger. To learn more about using Gaim, click here.
Tomboy, http://www.gnome.org/projects/tomboy/, is a simple but powerful note taking application for the GNOME desktop. Sitting in your GNOME panel, Tomboy makes it easy to keep track of any kind of list - from to-do lists to your grocery list. Tomboy features a wide range of formatting, plugins, and the ability to link notes together. Learn more about using Tomboy here.