|Email:||ericlake at foresightlinux dot org|
|IRC:||etank on irc.freenode.net|
I'm a 32 year old father of three living in the United States, in the Bluegrass State of Kentucky. By day, I am a System Administrator supporting mostly Windows machines. I have been using Linux (Foresight, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Red Hat, Suse, Slackware) for about 5 years now. My Linux journey began when I started learning Perl. I was writing my code on a Red Hat 8 machine and a friend challenged me to use a distro that wasn't so easy. He said that I should try to run Slackware. So I did. He kept giving me challenges, and in the process I was getting deeper and deeper into Linux.
I first heard of Foresight at OLF in September of 2007. I met specialKevin there and his enthusiasm for conary and Foresight were inspiring. After running into a few issues with my distro of choice at the time I decided that it was a good time to look at what some of the others had to offer. I tried a few but they just did not feel right to me. On October 20th I installed Foresight from the DVD that I got at OLF. So much of it (though it took a while to install) just worked. Including my wireless (one of the things that the other distro that I tried did not do).
One of the things that have kept me using Foresight is the community around it. I had tried to do packaging with debian tools before but never had much luck at it. After only a few days of talking with some of the users in #foresight-devel I had created about 3 packages (with help of course). Since then I have packaged about 12 apps.
- I have been spending time in the #foresight channel trying to help users as much as I can. I know that I still have a lot to learn but I figure that "now" is the best time to start contributing.
- Spreading the word about Foresight to those that I come in contact with.
- Creating and updating some packages for FL 1.4
- Alpha tester for Foresight Linux 2.0 Gnome edition
- Helped with the rewrite of the new website
- Example Member Application
- Example Developer Application
- Marketing Meetings
- Running and Install Fest
- Other minor edits to existing pages.
I am actively trying to contribute to the packaging efforts. I am excited about what Foresight 2 has to offer. I hope to be able to offer help in many areas of this distro for some time to come.
- Become an official developer of Foresight (implies member)
- Get Foresight introduced to LUGs in my area.